The Stax/VoIt tour of Europe during 1967 has previously been celebrated on 4 albums- Stax /Volt Live In Europe Volumes I and 2, Otis Redding Live In Europe and The Mark-Keys And Booker T and the MGs Back To Back. As a souvenir of the shows (if you were there) or as a taster of what you missed (if you weren't), they gave a good idea of the intensity of the experience for both artists and audience, and subsequently released video clips of Otis Redding, Sam & Dave and Booker T & The MGs only confirmed the magic. Now 25 years after the event, comes Stax /Volt Live In Europe Vol 3. A stunning collection with intros by Emperor Rosko (for the London gigs) and Hubert for the Paris concert. Contributions by Booker T & The MGs (Red Beans & Rice, Booker Loo, Green Onions, Hip-Hug-Her), Mar-Keys (Philly Dog, Last Night), Carla Thomas (Let Me Be Good To You, Yesterday, Something Good (Is Going To Happen To You), B-A-B-Y), Eddie Floyd (I Don't Want To Cry, Raise Your Hand, Knock On Wood! and Otis Redding (Respect, My Girl, Shake, Day Tripper, Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song), Try A Little Tenderness) make up 74 minutes of soul bliss. The tour established the reputations of Otis, brought Sam & Dave to prominence and made Memphis soul a living reality for all those European fans who'd had to survive solely on a diet of vinyl. For the music it was a watershed event. Booker T & The MGs became an essential session crew and started out on a career that moved them into '70s pop, Otis had but six months left to live before his tragic demise. Pop music was changing (the progressive sound of the '60s was tinkling its first notes) and the sound of Stax was changing, too, and, in a way, this was one look back-wards before the label launched out into a very different soul world populated by the music of performers like Isaac Hayes and Johnny Taylor. As Greil Marcus noted of the 1967 tour (in the Sweet Soul Music book): "There is a frenetic note that is at odds with the spare classicism of the 'Stax Sound' and this is just as true of Volume 3. This "live" set offers an alternative but complimentary view of the polished Stax studio sound, replacing the neat riffs and soulful but restrained vocals with sweat and passion.
- 01 Preview Introduction # 1: London - Emperor Rosko
- 02 Preview Red Beans And Rice - Booker T & The MGs
- 03 Preview Booker- Loo - Booker T & The MGs
- 04 Preview Green Onions - Booker T & The MGs
- 05 Introduction # 2: Paris - Booker T & The MGs
- 06 Preview Philly Dog - The Mar-Keys
- 07 Preview Last Night - The Mar-Keys
- 08 Introduction # 3: Paris - Hubert
- 09 Preview Let Me Be Good To You - Carla Thomas
- 10 Preview Yesterday - Carla Thomas
- 11 Preview Something Good (Is Going To Happen To You) - Carla Thomas
- 12 Preview B-A-B-Y - Carla Thomas
- 13 Preview Hip Hug-Her - Booker T & The MGs
- 14 Introduction # 4: London - Emperor Rosko
- 15 Preview I Don't Want To Cry - Eddie Floyd
- 16 Preview Raise Your Hand - Eddie Floyd
- 17 Preview Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
- 18 Preview Introduction # 5: London - Emperor Rosko
- 19 Preview Respect - Otis Redding
- 20 Preview My Girl - Otis Redding
- 21 Preview Shake - Otis Redding
- 22 Preview Day Tripper - Otis Redding
- 23 Introduction # 6 - Otis Redding
- 24 Preview Fa Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song) - Otis Redding
- 25 Preview Introduction # 7 - Otis Redding
- 26 Preview Try A Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at email@example.com ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: email@example.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.