We continue our run of Nashville R&B CDs with a return visit to the Champion group of labels featuring the productions of Ted Jarrett. Ted was one of the early black independent label producers, and to this day is still hunting for hit records on his T-Jaye label. With the release of the first volume of Across The Tracks (CDCHD 493) he has been accorded belated recognition for his past work by his Nashville home town. In a supplement of The Nashville Banner (28 November 1996), Ted had the front cover picture and story entitled (what else) 'Across The Tracks' with the bye-line "Reissue disc showcases Ted Jarrett's role in Nashville's R&B and rock history." Then in the Nashville Scene of 12 December 1996, Daniel Cooper wrote a major article, "Scuffling: The Lost History Of Nashville Rhythm & Blues". Cooper noted that "only now, all these years later, Nashville's R&B legacy is beginning to gain wider recognition. AVI Records in the US and Ace Records in the UK have been deep into a reissue programme of vintage recordings from the Excello vaults - much of it featuring Music City talent - and Ace also just released the essential Across The Tracks: Nashville R&B and Rock'n'Roll. A superior collection of raw, urban-combo sides from the late 50s and early 60s, the Ace collection especially highlights the production and songwriting of local musician and all-round indie entrepreneur Ted Jarrett". We have commissioned Daniel Cooper to write the notes to this second volume of Across The Tracks (he has also written the notes to our Wail Daddy! and Southern Rhythms with Kid King's Combo, Louis Brooks and Skippy Brooks - both CDs from the Excello label). This time out we feature Nashville doowop from highly collectable groups the Kinglets and Charles Walker & the Daffodils along with the Champion R&B stalwarts Larry Birdsong, Gene Allison and Earl Gaines. The quality blues tracks by Murfreesboro (Al Garner), Ted Jarrett, Cliff Butler and Arthur K Adams are almost impossible to find on the original records, as is the magnificent rockabilly of Chuck Harrod's Crawdad Hole a $1000 single! Yes, the musical quality of Across The Tracks Vol 2 is every bit as high as that of the first volume.
- 01 Preview Three Times Seven - Larry Birdsong
- 02 Preview Live The Life I Sing About - Larry Birdsong
- 03 Preview Six Days A Week (And Sundays Too) - The Kinglets
- 04 Preview You Gotta Go - The Kinglets
- 05 Preview No Fool No More - Charles Walker & The Daffodils
- 06 Preview Slave To Love - Charles Walker & The Daffodils
- 07 Preview If Things Don't Change - Gene Allison
- 08 Preview Sittin' Here Drinkin' - Earl Gaines
- 09 Preview Blue Night - Jimmy Beck & His Orchestra
- 10 Preview Real Good Man - Murfreesboro (Al Garner)
- 11 Preview Oh My Love - Murfreesboro (Al Garner)
- 12 Preview Scooter Poofin' - Larry Birdsong
- 13 Preview Lord You Know - The Fairfield Four
- 14 Preview I Thank Him - Christine Kittrell
- 15 Preview Kiss Away - The Clips
- 16 Preview Let Me Get Close To You Baby - The Clips
- 17 Preview You're My Baby - Larry Birdsong
- 18 Preview Love You So - Earl Gaines
- 19 Preview Hallelujah - Don Q & Clenest Gant
- 20 Preview Rent's Too High - Cliff Butler
- 21 Preview Love Me A Long, Long Time - Ted Jarrett
- 22 Preview My Little Baby - Little Shy Guy (Douglas)
- 23 Preview Crawdad Hole (Crawdad Song) - Chuck Harrod & The Anteaters
- 24 Preview Goofin' Off - Joyce Paul
- 25 Preview Let Me Down Easy - Earl Gaines
- 26 Preview The Same Thing - Arthur K Adams
- 27 Preview You Are My Sunshine - Earl Gaines & Lucille Johns
- 28 Preview Stay A Little Longer - Gene Allison
- 29 Preview It's Almost Sundown - Roscoe Shelton
- 30 Preview Medley - Gene Allison
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at email@example.com ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: email@example.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.