The third and final volume exploring the soulful sounds made at Carnival Records in the 1960s. Set up in 1962, Carnival attracted a red-hot 'house' band of young talent - guitarists Eric Gale and 'Snaggs' Allen, drummer Bernard Purdie and bassist Jimmy Tyrell (later a vice president of Columbia Records), among them - and together they forged a distinct new sound. Many of the excellent singers to record for the label were word-of-mouth recommend-ations - singer Barbara Brown was instrumental in bringing The Manhattans to Carnival and later Blue Lovett brought his cousin Phil Terrell along (Phil's I'll Erase You (From My Heart) is on the current volume of recordings). Throughout the 60s, Carnival had hits with The Manhattans, reinvesting the profits in local acts with the occasional licensed-in production. The label's sound developed from doo wop and R&B to mainstream soul and eventually the softer harmonies of The Pretenders.The Pretenders were the label's main preoccupation in the 1970s, even cutting a handful of disco sides for Carnival. The label's catalogue range, though, remained wide including, in addition to the softer soul of such groups as The Three Reasons, southern soul from Little Royal and Jimmy Jules and the blues of Curly Mays (whose Oh Why is today the rarest, most sought-after Carnival 45). In 1982, after five years inactivity, Carnival recorded Love Don't Come Easy by The New Jersey Connection. The last release from Carnival, it showed that the magic had not died. It became a big UK club hit and is still played by the likes of DJ Greg Edwards on his new shows.This 25 track compilation is by Ady Croasdell who also provides the detailed sleevenotes. Full Carnival discography is by Peter Gibbon.
- 01 Preview I Need You Baby - Lee Williams And The Cymbals
- 02 Preview I'll Erase You (From My Heart) - Phil Terrell
- 03 Preview I Wanna Be (Your Everything) - The Manhattans
- 04 Preview I Call It Love - The Pretenders
- 05 Preview If Love Comes Knockin' - The Topics
- 06 Preview Send Him To Me - Barbara Brown
- 07 Preview I'm The Man For You Baby - The Turner Brothers
- 08 Preview Just One More Time - Jimmy Jules
- 09 Preview I'll Be Gone - Lee Williams And The Cymbals
- 10 Preview What Kind Of Man Are You - Dolores Johnson
- 11 Preview Oh Why - Curley Mays
- 12 Preview You Made Me Love You - Little Royal
- 13 Preview The Git Go - Maurice Simon And The Pie Men
- 14 Preview Just Be Yourself - The Pretenders
- 15 Preview April Lady - James Perry
- 16 Preview Take Me Back - The Three Reasons
- 17 Preview Lonely Girl - The Lovettes
- 18 Preview Cry, Cry, Cry - Kenneth Ruffin
- 19 Preview Buy This Record For Me - Leon And The Metronomes With The Kool Kings Band
- 20 Preview Your Yah-Yah Is Gone - The Tren-Teens
- 21 Preview Try Me One More Time - Delores Johnson
- 22 Preview It's Too Late For Tears - Renee Bailey
- 23 Preview I Don't Wanna Go - The Manhattans
- 24 Preview Groove In G - Wilbur Bascomb And The Blue Zodiact
- 25 Preview Love Don't Come Easy - New Jersey Connection
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.