The rockabilly sound of the south is represented here by Boppin' Tonight-The Best of Goldband Rockabilly. 22 rockin', boppin' rockabilly sides from the Goldband label including stalwarts like Al Ferrier and excellent (if underrecorded) talents such as Johnny Jano. Eddie Shuler, owner of Goldband,recalled the era as: " some of my wildest times in the music world. The sound was new and different, everyone was a pioneer! I had the usual bunch of 'me-too' boys with doting parents, but I did manage to turn out some good records, which sold well enough to help me and the artists." Al Ferrier was the best. From Montgomery, Louisiana, he got his break on the famed Louisiana Hayride show out of Shreveport. He was indebted to the talent of his brother, Brian Ferrier, the lead guitarist who was 'so good until it didn't show'. With his band the Boppin' Billies, Al recorded the rockabilly classics Let's Go Boppin' Tonight and Honey Babe for Goldband in 1955 and 1956. Soon after he re-recorded Let's Go Boppin' Tonight as Hey Baby for Excello. He still records for Goldband today. Little Billy Earl had local success. An uncle of Dolly Parton, he now plays nine months a year at Dolly's theme park "Dollywood" in the Smoky Mountains. Larry Hart is represented by an audition tape medley of three songs. Eddie Shulerfelt he had genuine potential but he left music to become a draughtsman and artist in Houston. Johnny Jano's 1956-56 sides have now acquired some status with collectors, though at the time "they didn't do much". These artists and their songs (along with the others on this collection), however, represent the best of Southern rockabilly in its prime - echo-laden vocals, wild guitar and throbbing slap basses. Let's go boppin' tonight!
- 01 Preview Let's Go Bopping Tonight - Al Ferrier
- 02 Preview Honey Baby - Al Ferrier & his Boppin' Billies
- 03 Preview No No Baby - Al Ferrier & the Boppin' Billies
- 04 Preview What Is That Thing Called Love - Al Ferrier
- 05 Preview My Baby Done Gone Away - Al Ferrier & the Boppin' Billies
- 06 Preview Couple In The Car - Little Billy Earl
- 07 Preview Whose Baby Are You - Robert Owens
- 08 Preview Go Dan Tucker - Little Billy Earl
- 09 Preview I Never Had The Blues - Little Billy Earl
- 10 Preview Honey Baby-o - Little Billy Earl
- 11 Preview Freight Train - Larry Hart
- 12 Preview Oh Nellie - Larry Hart
- 13 Preview I'm Just A Mender - Larry Hart
- 14 Preview Coffins Have No Pockets - Larry Hart
- 15 Preview Medley: (Come On Baby/Flashiest Classiest/Never Run Out Of) - Larry Hart
- 16 Preview Hold Me Baby - Bill & Carroll
- 17 Preview Bluff City Rock - Bill & Carroll
- 18 Preview Bop Stop Rock - Ray Vict
- 19 Preview Oh Baby - Johnny Jano
- 20 Preview Mabel's Gone - Johnny Jano
- 21 Preview High Voltage - Johnny Jano
- 22 Preview Castro Rock - Jay Chevalier
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.