Years have passed since Adrian Croasdell found first himself in the tape vaults at Scepter /Wand and Musicor. The endorphin rush he experienced then must have been so potent that the poor boy can't stop himself from going back for more. Ady's addiction is one to be encouraged-.-it means we can all experience the ethereal pleasures only made possible by listening to the sounds of New York City Soul. This cleverly compiled collection, featuring tracks from 1962-72, brings together all of the musical styles necessary to ensure that everybody who tunes in will be satisfied, be they permanent residents of, or occasional visitors to the sound of, the Big Apple. The CD kicks off with Johnny Maestro's dramatic I'm Stepping Out Of The Picture, now regarded a classic side since its debut at the 100 Club - courtesy of you know who. With this track you'll find yourself instantly transported back to what must have been groovy times - you don't need a Tardis just close your eyes. The male artists are well represented with offerings from the mournful Ed Bruce, frantic Sammy Ambrose, pleading Chuck Jackson and an unissued Billy Byers. What more could you want? Well 'Girls' of course. Naturally there are plenty of those too. Two cracking sides from Judy Clay, an in-demand Maxine Brown tune and the essential Big Maybelle and Marie Knight. Group sounds abound: Northern sides being flipped over to reveal uplifting ballads from the Gentlemen Four and Porgy & The Monarchs-.-the Platters deliver a few words of sound advice-.-and Little Charles gives us a finger-clicking ditty that makes its first public appearance here. This latest offering from Kent provides more soul than stomp, more ballads and more pleasure than Prozac.
- 01 Preview I'm Stepping Out Of The Picture - Johnny Maestro & The Crests
- 02 Preview My Arms Aren't Strong Enough - Judy Clay
- 03 Preview Am I Falling In Love - Maxine Brown
- 04 Preview I'm Gonna Have A Party - Ed Bruce
- 05 Preview The Man Who Has Everything - Junior Lewis
- 06 Preview Let's Play House - Tony Drake
- 07 Preview If It's For Real Baby - Porgy & The Monarchs
- 08 Preview Oh Lord, What Are You Doing To Me - Big Maybelle
- 09 Preview Don't Believe Him, Donna - Chuck Jackson
- 10 Preview New Neighbourhood - Billy Byers
- 11 Preview Welcome To Dreamsville - Sammy Ambrose
- 12 Preview In My Tenement - Roosevelt Grier
- 13 Preview Don't Hear, Speak, See No Evil - The Platters
- 14 Preview You Need Me - Little Charles & The Sidewinders
- 15 Preview Sugar (Don't Take My Candy Away) - The Jive Five
- 16 Preview It Won't Hurt - The Gentlemen Four
- 17 Preview Not Now But Later - Walter Wilson
- 18 Preview No Easy Way Down - Walter Jackson
- 19 Preview This Empty Place - The Tangeers
- 20 Preview Haven't Got What It Takes - Judy Clay
- 21 Preview The Hurt - Freddie North
- 22 Preview See The Big Man Cry - Ed Bruce
- 23 Preview False Alarm - Tommy Hunt
- 24 Preview Who's Gonna Mention My Name - Lonnie Sattin
- 25 Preview Would You Still Say That I'm The One That You Love - Ray Crossen
- 26 Preview A Little Too Lonely - Marie Knight
- 27 Preview (There Goes) The Forgotten Man - Jimmy Radcliffe
- 28 Preview Soul Serenade - Brooks O'Dell
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.