From 1957 to 1959, the Los Angeles label Ebb Records released around 60 singles. Only one became a national hit, although there were several regional successes. The label, however, recorded a fascinating cross-section of the music of the day and The Ebb Story tells the tale.Formed by Leonora "Lee" Rupe, with the money she received as a divorce settlement from her ex-husband Art Rupe (head of Specialty Records), and Jesse J Jones, an arranger and horn player, Ebb kicked off with The Ebbtones' Danny's Blues and worked their way through the New Orleans R&B of Professor Longhairs' Look What You're Doing To Me, the soulful blues of Ted Taylor, the down-home Texan blues guitar and voice of Smokey Hogg, the supper-club blues stylings of Floyd Dixon, the rockabilly of Kip Tyler, the chameleon vocals of Dolly Cooper and the classic hit R&B of the Hollywood Flames with Buzz, Buzz, Buzz (a version of which a young Bob Dylan performs on his forthcoming CD-ROM disc release).In the end, Ebb succumbed to the problems that beset many independents in the era - lack of national distribution and undercapitalisation (Ebb never released an album, even for their one hit maker, The Hollywood Flames). However, in their short run of two years, they left behind some great underground sounds of the period and "The Ebb Story" lets the world sample them one more time.Many of the recordings included on "The Ebb Story" are released on CD for the first time and there is one previously unreleased track among them. As befits a tribute album to such an intriguing label, "The Ebb Story" includes a complete discography by researcher Peter Gibbon and a fine sleevenote by Jim Dawson.
- 01 Preview I've Got A Feeling - The Ebb-Tones
- 02 Preview What Is Life Without A Home? - Floyd Dixon
- 03 Preview If You Please - Riff Ruffin
- 04 Preview Time Brings About A Change - Dolly Cooper
- 05 Preview Look What You're Doin' To Me (Ooh-Wee, Baby) - Professor Longhair
- 06 Preview True Lips - Ray Agee And Elly Johnson
- 07 Preview Buzz, Buzz, Buzz - The Hollywood Flames
- 08 Preview The Way You Carry On - The Roulettes
- 09 Preview Love Like A Fool - The Georgettes
- 10 Preview Looka, No Hair - Professor Longhair
- 11 Preview I Wanna Know - Eddie Daniels
- 12 Preview Darkness - J J Jones
- 13 Preview Keep Walking On - Ted Taylor
- 14 Preview Good Mornin' Baby - Smokey Hogg
- 15 Preview Sure 'nuff - Smokey Hogg
- 16 Preview You Fascinate Me - Tony Harris
- 17 Preview Mine All Mine - The Jaguars
- 18 Preview Voodoo Love - The Souvenirs
- 19 Preview Never Let Me Go - The Ambers featuring Ralph Mathis
- 20 Preview Wrapped Up In A Dream - Ted Taylor
- 21 Preview She's My Witch - Kip Tyler
- 22 Preview Oh Linda - Kip Tyler
- 23 Preview Lucky Johnny - Jerry Hawkins
- 24 Preview Need Your Lovin' - Jerry Hawkins
- 25 Preview Much Too Much - The Hollywood Flames
- 26 Preview Come On - Earl Nelson
- 27 Preview My Silent Prayer - Ray Agee And Elly Johnson
- 28 Preview Run, Run, Run - Sammy Vance
- 29 Preview Kiss Me, Squeeze Me - Davie Lee
- 30 Preview Hali-lou - Earl Nelson
- 31 Preview Hali-lou - Kip Tyler
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.