For anyone in their mid-teens in the mid-5Os, and into music, it had to be rock'n'roll - American rock'n roll. There was no British equivalent to the sound. In the UK, it was Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, The Platters, Alan Freed, Radio Luxembourg, Voice Of America. By 1958 rock'n'roll reached the UK. But it was Cliff Richard and Marty Wilde, not Elvis Presley and Dion & the Belmonts. By 1956 there were hundreds of small record companies in the US pouring out rock'n'roll and rhythm and blues records. By 1958 there were thousands, tens of thousands and they were hitting the top ten pop charts. All through this hive of activity the big four UK companies: EMI, Decca, Pye and Philips retained their stranglehold, and so did the Light Programme. Needless to say they couldn't handle this wealth of material and although most US hits were released in England they were never promoted. By 1961, and those mid-teens turning to twenties, along came the Beatles. Capitol's A&R department in America hated them and let them go to small labels like Vee Jay and Swan. America carried on with rock'n'roll, getting ever limper with an array of Bobbies and Frankies watering it down, but the Jive Five, the Elegants, the Capris, Dion etc were still flying the flag. By late 1963 Capitol had finally woken up and the Beatles charted in America in January 1964. That was the end of the era of American rock'n'roll as 50s teenagers knew it.Over the years most of the bigger independent American companies such as Atlantic and Chess have been swallowed up by majors. This 30 track CD celebrates the American hits of the smaller independents from 1954 to 1963. There are 21 Top 10 American hits here, all but one made the Top 30. More importantly, all are mastered off the finest tapes still surviving. Most CDs from other UK reissue companies that cover this ground, have had to resort to disc dubs through lack of knowledge of best sources. If the right people get to know about this and hear the quality, this will sell and sell.
- 01 Preview Denise - Randy & The Rainbows
- 02 Preview Sally Go Round The Roses - The Jaynetts
- 03 Preview Mule Skinner Blues - The Fendermen
- 04 Preview Sixteen Candles - The Crests
- 05 Preview Pretty Little Angel Eyes - Curtis Lee
- 06 Preview I Love How You Love Me - The Paris Sisters
- 07 Preview The Big Hurt - Miss Toni Fisher
- 08 Preview A Thousand Stars - Kathy Young & The Innocents
- 09 Preview Rockin' Robin - Bobby Day
- 10 Preview Earth Angel (Will You Be Mine) - The Penguins
- 11 Preview Bongo Rock - Preston Epps
- 12 Preview Tossin' And Turnin' - Bobby Lewis
- 13 Preview My True Story - The Jive Five
- 14 Preview Stranded In The Jungle - The Cadets
- 15 Preview Angel Baby (UK Version) - Rosie & The Originals
- 16 Preview Party Lights - Claudine Clark
- 17 Preview When We Get Married - The Dreamlovers
- 18 Preview Cindy's Birthday - Johnny Crawford
- 19 Preview Let's Dance - Chris Montez
- 20 Preview Who's That Knocking - The Genies
- 21 Preview Love You So - Ron Holden
- 22 Preview Cherry Pie - Skip & Flip
- 23 Preview Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners
- 24 Preview Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
- 25 Preview Since I Fell For You - Lenny Welch
- 26 Preview Image Of A Girl - The Safaris
- 27 Preview Smoky Places - The Corsairs
- 28 Preview Gee Whiz - The Innocents
- 29 Preview A Little Bit Of Soap - The Jarmels
- 30 Preview Eddie My Love - The Teen Queens
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.