The Chess Records catalogue (including as it does the output of such subsidiary labels as Cadet, Checker and Argo) is one of the finest collections of Black music recordings ever made by one record company. Chess Club Rhythm & Soul showcases the many club gems given birth to by founders Leonard and Phil Chess in the musical melting pot that was the Chicago of the late 50s and 60s. Pure blues classics like Little Walter's My Babe and Sonny Boy Williamson's heart-felt pleading blues Help Me rub shoulders with soulful funky jazz sides by Ramsey Lewis, Brother Jack McDuff and Lou Donaldson. Etta James (currently riding high with her version of I Just Want To Make Love To You) gets two look ins - solo on Mellow Fellow and dueting with Sugar Pie DeSanto on Do I Make Myself Clear. Don & Bob sing their 'phasey' pulsing R&B rendition of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl while Little Milton hits a tough soul-blues groove for Grits Ain't Groceries. Soul men Maurice & Mac (in a Sam & Dave bag) deliver their stone classic You Left The Water Running (covered by the likes of the Flying Burrito Brothers and revived by writer Dan Penn for Do Right Man, his own brilliant album of recent vintage). Playing out the final minutes of this 25 track release, the insidious dance beats of yet another absolute R&B classic- Hi Heel Sneakers by Tommy Tucker.
- 01 Preview Mellow Fellow - Etta James
- 02 Preview Messin' With The Man - Muddy Waters
- 03 Preview Git Out - Mitty Collier
- 04 Preview Summertime - Billy Stewart
- 05 Preview Ooh Baby - Bo Diddley
- 06 Preview You Left The Water Running - Maurice & Mac
- 07 Preview Hey Mr DJ - Bobby Mac And The Rhythm
- 08 Preview Can't Make It Without You - Fred Hughes
- 09 Preview Ain't It - Brother Jack McDuff
- 10 Preview Let's Wade In The Water - Marlena Shaw
- 11 Preview Fire - Koko Taylor
- 12 Preview Do I Make Myself Clear - Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto
- 13 Preview A Knife And A Fork - Kip Anderson
- 14 Preview My Babe - Little Walter
- 15 Preview Help Me - Sonny Boy Williamson
- 16 Preview Good Morning Little Schoolgirl - Don And Bob
- 17 Preview Who's That Guy - The Kolettes
- 18 Preview Here Comes The Judge - Pigmeat Markham
- 19 Preview Function At The Junction - Ramsey Lewis
- 20 Preview Grits Ain't Groceries (Aka All Around The World) - Little Milton
- 21 Preview Must I Holler - Jamo Thomas
- 22 Preview Every Day I Have To Cry - Steve Alaimo
- 23 Preview Musty Rusty - Lou Donaldson
- 24 Preview I Don't Wanna Fuss - Sugar Pie DeSanto
- 25 Preview Hi Heel Sneakers - Tommy Tucker
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.
A fabulous collection.