Commencing with one of the most memorable bass lines in soul and R&B - the melodic dancing beat of Fontella Bass's Rescue Me - Chicago Radio Soul surveys the many local hits that fired up Chicago radio station broadcasts in the 1960s. Some of the songs - Rescue Me and Jackie Ross's Take Me For A Little While - have gone on to acquire the status of all-time R&B classics. Some of the artists - Etta James, in particular, since her recent chart hit I Just Want To Make Love To You - are now household names. All, however, have provided endless hours of listening pleasure for soul and R&B fans around the world. Culled from the Chess family of labels - Chess, Checker, Argo and Cadet - and with the best sound quality available, Chicago Radio Soul embraces styles and performers from bluesman Little Milton to Northern Soul fave Tony 'The Entertainer' Clarke, vocal group The Radiants to emotive-soul diva Denise La Salle, gospel-fuelled soul singer Mitty Collier to ex-Soul Stirrer James Phelps.The excellent sleevenotes are by Robert Pruter (author of the book 'Chicago Soul').
- 01 Preview Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
- 02 Preview Don't Mess Up A Good Thing - Fontella Bass And Bobby McClure
- 03 Preview We Got The Winning Hand - Little Milton
- 04 Preview Selfish One - Jackie Ross
- 05 Preview A Thousand Miles Away - Joann Garrett
- 06 Preview Shy Guy - The Radiants
- 07 Preview No Faith, No Love - Mitty Collier
- 08 Preview I Can't Help Myself - The Gems
- 09 Preview Love Is A Five Letter Word - James Phelps
- 10 Preview This Heart Of Mine - Tony Clark
- 11 Preview Lonely Girl - Andrea Davis
- 12 Preview (Don't It Make You) Feel Kinda Bad - The Radiants
- 13 Preview La De Da, I'm A Fool In Love - James Phelps
- 14 Preview Only Time Will Tell - Etta James
- 15 Preview Peak Of Love - Bobby McClure
- 16 Preview The Bossa Nova Bird - The Dells
- 17 Preview The Creeper - Freddy Robinson
- 18 Preview Heartbreak Society - The Radiants
- 19 Preview Strange Feeling - Billy Stewart
- 20 Preview Try My Love Again - Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces
- 21 Preview Sharing You - Mitty Collier
- 22 Preview Take Me For A Little While - Jackie Ross
- 23 Preview One Day I'll Show You - The Radiants
- 24 Preview Stay By My Side - Joann Garrett
- 25 Preview A Love Reputation - Denise LaSalle
- 26 Preview Happy New Love - The Gems
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.