One of the biggest success stories of the Woodstock Festival and movie, Sly & The Family Stone built up their international reputation in the years prior to 1969 with such ground-breaking albums as "Dance To The Music" and "M'Lady". Sly successfully fused soul, funk and rock, in a totally natural way.The music he created then (and in classic later works like There's A Riot Going On) changed the face of black music for ever. Sly's ideas not only influenced those working at the popular end of black music (paving the way for such artists as Prince) but also the creative jazz process (affecting the music Miles Davis made on such albums as "On The Corner" and subsequently laying the groundwork rhythms for groups like Herbie Hancock's Headhunters). "Precious Stone: In The Studio With Sly Stone" is a fascinating exploration of how Sly was to so convincingly integrate rock with dance music. It captures the early recordings he made tor the Autumn label when, as Tom Donahue and Bob Mitchell's house producer and A&R staffer, the 19-year old Sly also cut many early 60s West Coast rock sides with bands like The Beau Brummels. Between 1963 and 1966, Sly was also leading the house band and MCing at Bay Area spectaculars at the Cow Palace, DJing on KDIA and KSOL and, generally, pulsing to the heartbeat of the emerging West Coast rock and R&B scenes. From the start, Sly produced his own sessions tor Autumn. Often these were unfinished, probably no more than demos or ideas for other artists to use. I'll Never Fall In Love Again is included here in a fast, previously unissued, version by Bobby Freeman. Sly liked the song enough to include it later on his own "Dance To The Music" album. Freeman also cut C'mon And Swim for Sly and it blasted to the top of the charts, propelling Freeman to the premier position at Autumn. Also of great interest are 4 previously unissued demos Sly made with Billy Preston (all probably remained in the can as Preston was then signed to Vee Jay) and a previously unissued Dance All Night with brother Freddie (later of The Family Stone). 16 of the cuts are previously unreleased tracks. Alec Palao's detailed sleevenotes tell the early Sly story and the whole package is a must both for fans of Sly Stone and those who savour all things West Coast pop.
- 01 Preview Swim - Sly & Rose
- 02 Preview Scat Swim - Sly
- 03 Preview I Taught Him - Sly Stone & Gloria Scott And The Tonettes
- 04 Preview Don't Say I Didn't Warn You - Sly Stone & Gloria Scott And The Tonettes
- 05 Preview Help Me With My Broken Heart - Sly Stone
- 06 Preview Out Of Sight - Sly Stone
- 07 Preview The Nerve Of You - Sly Stone & Emile O'Conner
- 08 Preview Every Dog Has Its Day - Sly Stone & Emile O'Conner
- 09 Preview On Broadway - Sly Stone
- 10 Preview Searchin' - Sly Stone
- 11 Preview Lord, Lord - Sly Stone
- 12 Preview The Seventh Son - Sly Stone
- 13 Preview The Jerk - Sly Stone & Sal
- 14 Preview That Little Old Heartbreaker Me - Bobby Freeman
- 15 Preview I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Bobby Freeman
- 16 Preview Ain't That Lovin' You Baby - Sly Stone & Billy Preston
- 17 Preview Buttermilk - Sly Stone
- 18 Preview Fake It - Sly Stone & George And Teddy
- 19 Preview Laugh - Sly Stone & George And Teddy
- 20 Preview Little Latin Lupe Lu - Sly Stone & Billy Preston
- 21 Preview Dance All Night - Sly Stone & Freddie
- 22 Preview Temptation Walk - Sly Stone
- 23 Preview Underdog - Sly Stone
- 24 Preview Can't You Tell I Love Her - Sly Stone & Billy Preston
- 25 Preview Life Of Fortune And Fame - Sly Stone & Billy Preston
- 26 Preview Take My Advice - Sly Stone & Billy Preston
- 27 Preview As I Get Older - Sly Stone & Billy Preston
- 28 Preview Radio Spot - Sly Stone & Billy Preston
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at email@example.com ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: email@example.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.