This CD opens with the record that put Dootsie Williams' Dootone Records on the map - Earth Angel by The Penguins. Dootsie had a fine geneology in black music: he'd played in Roy Milton's Solid Senders, talent-scouted for MGM (recording the likes of Ivory Joe Hunter and Joe Turner), recorded rude records by Billy Mitchell and Hattie Noel, then jazzmen like Carl Perkins and Dexter Gordon for his own labels (first Blue Records, then from 1951 Dootone) and finally cut a white group called The Whipporwills with Kiss A Fool Goodbye. It was The Penguins disc, though,and subsequent recordings by fine black music vocal groups that defined one of the key components of the Dootone style. The Medallions, led by 16 year old Vernon Green (later to record with The Phantoms and still active around L.A. today), hit with a series of discs including Speedin' and Buick 59. Don Julian and The Meadowlarks, the smoothest of Dootone's vocal groups (and one of the first racially integrated), hit with songs like Heaven And Paradise, though here they show, on their uptempo B-sides I Got Tore Up and Boogie Woogie Teenage, that they could rock out too. The Calvanes, The Crescendoes, The Pipes, The Romancers, The Cufflinx, Charles McCullough & The Silks are all here, their names as magical as the music they made. Along with the jump blues of Dootsie's former boss Roy Milton and the tough honkin' sax of Chuck Higgins (hear him at length on last month's release Pachuko Hop, CDCHD 394), they offer a soul map to the West Coast black music scene of the mid- to late-1950s.
- 01 Preview Earth Angel (Will You Be Mine) - The Penguins
- 02 Preview Speedin' - Vernon Green & The Medallions
- 03 Preview Ding A Ling - The Crescendos
- 04 Preview Baby Doll - The Crescendos
- 05 Preview I Can't Go On - Roy Milton & His Orchestra
- 06 Preview You Got Me Reelin' And Rockin' - Roy Milton & His Orchestra
- 07 Preview My Girl - Charles McCullough & The Silks
- 08 Preview I Got Tore Up - Don Julian & The Meadowlarks
- 09 Preview Please Mr Junkman - Cleve Duncan & The Penguins
- 10 Preview Flee Oo Wee - The Calvanes
- 11 Preview Wet Back Hop - Chuck Higgins And His Band
- 12 Preview Here I'm Is - Chuck Higgins
- 13 Preview Boogie Woogie Teenage - Don Julian & The Meadowlarks
- 14 Preview Be Fair - The Pipes
- 15 Preview Buick '59 - Vernon Green & The Medallions
- 16 Preview Heaven And Paradise - Don Julian & The Meadowlarks
- 17 Preview Magic Mountain - Vernon Green & The Medallions
- 18 Preview Jump And Hop - The Romancers
- 19 Preview Let Me Cry - Willie Headen & the Five Birds
- 20 Preview Tonky Honk - Chuck Higgins
- 21 Preview Guided Missiles - The Cuff Links
- 22 Preview So Tough - The Cufflinx
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at email@example.com ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: email@example.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.