With The Golden Age Of Rock'n'Roll, Ace Records had a simple aim - to assemble the best series of US Hot 100 hits (from 1954 -1963, pre UK invasion) ever in catalogue. The first 3 volumes have all been highly successful and acclaimed and Volume 4 continues the absurdly high standards established so far with an excellent selection of tracks, in stunningly good sound quality, a generous playing time (30 tracks) and extensive, fascinating sleevenotes from Rob Finnis (with many vintage illustrations).The original source labels include (among others) Jamie, Legrand, Savoy, End, Gee, Josie, Okeh, Gone and Dore (collectively a record collector's dream goldmine). A fan currently trying to buy original singles of all the tracks in this series would need a very hefty overdraft, perhaps even a second mortgage. Among the gems on Volume 4 are Gary U.S. Bonds' New Orleans, a big hit that charted at No 6 in the US and No 16 in the UK, Sal Mineo's Start Movin' (In My Direction), which reached No 9 US and No 16 UK and Buddy Knox's classic Party Doll, No I US, No 29 UK. You'll Lose A Good Thing by Barbara Lynn reached No 8 in the US in 1962 and has remained one of the great New Orleans soul sides though Barbara was originally from Beaumont, Texas. (The guitarist on the song, by the way, is Mac Rebennack, a.k.a. Dr John). The Regents' Barbara-Ann was recorded in ten minutes at the end of a 1959 session, as a throwaway number. Two years later it was issued and soared into the Top 20. Like much of the best rock'n'roll, it was recorded quickly and under adverse conditions, but the freshness of the performance, the spontaneity of the recording and the lack of guile, all help sustain the immediacy of the song across the years. The '50s - pre 1963 were a 'golden age of rock'n'roll' and this CD unashamedly celebrates that.
- 01 Preview Linda Lu - Ray Sharpe
- 02 Preview Little By Little - Nappy Brown
- 03 Preview Rama Lama Ding Dong - The Edsels
- 04 Preview Flamingo Express aka The Flip - The Royaltones
- 05 Preview New Orleans - Gary "US" Bonds
- 06 Preview Maybe - The Chantels
- 07 Preview Drip Drop - Dion
- 08 Preview Start Movin' (In My Direction) - Sal Mineo
- 09 Preview Lonely Saturday Night - Don French
- 10 Preview Don't Let Go - Roy Hamilton
- 11 Preview Pop Pop Pop-Pie - The Sherrys
- 12 Preview Life's Too Short - The Lafayettes
- 13 Preview High School USA - Tommy Facenda
- 14 Preview The Glory Of Love - The Roommates
- 15 Preview Peanuts - Little Joe And The Thrillers
- 16 Preview Need You - Donnie Owens
- 17 Preview Party Doll - Buddy Knox
- 18 Preview Could This Be Magic - The Dubs
- 19 Preview Killer Joe - The Rocky Fellers
- 20 Preview Barbara - The Temptations
- 21 Preview Peek-A-Boo - The Cadillacs
- 22 Preview You'll Lose A Good Thing - Barbara Lynn
- 23 Preview Lucky Ladybug - Billy & Lillie
- 24 Preview Tears On My Pillow - Little Anthony And The Imperials
- 25 Preview Baby Talk - Jan & Dean
- 26 Preview Here I Stand - The Rip Chords
- 27 Preview (Do The) Mashed Potatoes - Nat Kendrick & The Swans
- 28 Preview Why Don't You Write Me? - The Jacks
- 29 Preview Barbara Ann - The Regents
- 30 Preview Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me Of You) - Little Caesar & the Romans
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at email@example.com ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: email@example.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.