The train waiting at the platform is the gospel train to glory! Get on board, little children, get on board! If Modern Records never approached the gospel field in the systematic way they did the blues one, they still captured some great performances. The Rev. C C Chapman (The Travelin' Shoes Man) and The Faith Temple Choir cut their solitary classic record for Modern - their On My Way is backed by jazzy organ, propulsive drumming and fervent handclapping. The Four Star Quartet's single recording Steal Away To Jesus was made in 1952 but never issued until now. The Echoes Of Zion sides were originally recorded for the Gerald label and bought by Modern in 1950. The sides here by this exciting Atlanta group showcase their use of switch lead singers on traditional songs such as Jacob's Ladder and On The Battlefield. The authoritative voices of the Revs Louis H Narcisse and James Earle Hines are also featured as are the sophisticated harmonies of The Smith Jubilee Singers, the San-Francisco-based Swanee River Quartet and the preacher-with-flock recording of the Rev G W Killens and his Mount Calvary Congregation recorded during a service at the Oakland City Auditorium. Killens is reported as saying "Once in a while, I like to hear the church sing" and on Father, I Stretch My Arms To Thee, they do just that and to stunning effect.
- 01 Preview Get On Board - James Earle Hines And His Goodwill Singers
- 02 Preview Climbing Jacob's Ladder - Echoes Of Zion
- 03 Preview Go, Devil, Go (Take 1 master) ((Take 1 master)) - Madam Ira Mae Littlejohn
- 04 Preview Satisfied - The Harmonizers
- 05 Preview Steal Away To Jesus - Four Star Quartet
- 06 Preview Brother Noah - Swanee River Quartet
- 07 Preview A Charge To Keep I Have - Echoes Of Zion
- 08 Preview Just A Little Talk With Jesus - Smith Jubilee Singers
- 09 Preview Why Should I Worry - Rev Louis Narcisse
- 10 Preview Jesus Said If You Go - Lillian Holmes And Madam Wesley Mae Walker
- 11 Preview In My Savior's Care - Four Star Quartet
- 12 Preview Heavenly Highway - James Earle Hines And His Goodwill Singers
- 13 Preview Those Chiming Bells (Mary and Martha) - Echoes Of Zion
- 14 Preview The Sun Will Never Go Down - Swanee River Quartet
- 15 Preview Dig A Little Deeper - Smith Jubilee Singers
- 16 Preview I Took My Master's Hand - Echoes Of Zion
- 17 Preview God Rode In The Windstorm - Prof James Earle Hines & His Goodwill Singers
- 18 Preview Take Your Burdens To The Lord - Swanee River Quartet
- 19 Preview I John Saw - The Harmonizers
- 20 Preview King Jesus Is Listening - Echoes Of Zion
- 21 Preview I Wanna See Jesus - Madam Ira Mae Littlejohn
- 22 Preview Daniel - James Earle Hines And His Goodwill Singers
- 23 Preview I'll Rest After Awhile - Echoes Of Zion
- 24 Preview Lord Remember Me - Smith Jubilee Singers
- 25 Preview On The Battlefield For The Lord - Swanee River Quartet
- 26 Preview Father, I Stretch My Arms To Thee - G W Killens And The Mt Calvary Congregation
- 27 Preview On My Way(Part 1) - Rev C C Chapman & The Faith Temple Choir
- 28 Preview On My Way(Part 2) - Rev C C Chapman & The Faith Temple Choir
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: email@example.com ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.