Our reissue series on the Excello label continues apace, and the latest offering mainly features country blues recordings from rural Tennessee of the 1950s. At the time, these records sold poorly and consequently are amongst the rarest post-war blues anywhere. Very little has been reissued on LP or CD, so this collection comes across as remarkably fresh and strong. The best known artist is Arthur Gunter, whose Excello recording of Baby Let's Play House was an early influence on Elvis Presley. Here we spotlight his favourite country rockers She's Mine All Mine and Honey Babe, both freshly remastered for this CD, and the East Coast blues stylings of first-time-on-CD You Are Doing Me Wrong. Arthur is also lead guitarist on the tracks by the Leap Frogs and his brother Little Al, whose No jive is a cult blues classic. These recordings were cut in Nashville under the auspices of Excello boss ErnieYoung. So, too, were the records by Shy Guy Douglas, Louis Campbell, Slim Hunt and Robert Garrett. A major find is the single by the Dixie Doodlers, described by notewriter Chris Bentley as sounding "remarkably like the Memphis Jug Band might have played in the early 1950s". Bentley, one of the most respected British blues writers, comments that the last 4 tracks (all previously unissued) 'will have collectors' palates salivating'. The Chas Dowell sides were recorded in 1963 by producer and harmonica player James Stewart very much in the Jimmy Reed style. And Good Rockin' Bob, possibly with Lonesome Sundown on guitar, takes us from Tennessee into Louisiana with two tough swamp-blues numbers straight from the local juke joints.
- 01 Preview Things Gonna Change - The Leap Frogs
- 02 Preview Dirty Britches - The Leap Frogs
- 03 Preview She Was All I Had - The Dixie Doodlers
- 04 Preview Best Of Friends - The Dixie Doodlers
- 05 Preview Wasted Time - Shy Guy Douglas
- 06 Preview I'm Your Country Man - Shy Guy Douglas
- 07 Preview Gotta Have You Baby - Louis Campbell
- 08 Preview Natural Facts - Louis Campbell
- 09 Preview No Place Like Home - Shy Guy Douglas
- 10 Preview She's My Kinda Girl - Shy Guy Douglas
- 11 Preview Welcome Home Baby - Slim Hunt
- 12 Preview She's Mine, All Mine - Arthur Gunter
- 13 Preview You Are Doing Me Wrong - Arthur Gunter
- 14 Preview Honey Babe - Arthur Gunter
- 15 Preview No Jive - Little Al
- 16 Preview Little Lean Woman - Little Al
- 17 Preview Every Day Brings About A Change - Little Al
- 18 Preview Easy Ridin' Buggy - Little Al
- 19 Preview Do Remember - Robert Garrett
- 20 Preview Quit My Drinkin' - Robert Garrett
- 21 Preview Everybody Drinkin' Wine - Chas Dowell With James Stewart
- 22 Preview I've Been Jumpin' And Stompin' - Chas Dowell With James Stewart
- 23 Preview Ain't No Need To Cry - Good Rockin' Bob
- 24 Preview I'm Bad - Good Rockin' Bob
Delivery & ReturnsShow
We offer free P&P to UK addresses. For all other territories packaging is free and postage is charged on a weight basis.
We use Royal Mail First Class for UK deliveries and standard Air Mail for all other territories, very large orders will usually be sent via parcelforce. You may cancel your order at any time prior to your order being dispatched by emailing us at email@example.com ensuring that you quote your name, address and order reference number or by telephoning +44 (0) 208 453 1311 between 9am and 5pm GMT/BST, Monday to Friday. Please note: As music downloads are dispatched immediately after purchase, there is no possibility of cancelling these orders.
In the event that any products supplied to you by us are damaged or defective, we agree to replace or repair the damaged or defective products or refund the amount you paid for such goods (including postage & packaging) providing you notify us (either via post at or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) and return the goods within 28 days of purchase. Physical goods should be sent back to us in the same condition you received them to: “Returns” Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the e-mail address above including a copy of your notification.
You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods (whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: email@example.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number.